Duplex Scale Tuning

Tue, 21 Dec 1999 08:31:57 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: <JIMRPT@AOL.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, December 20, 1999 8:50 PM
Subject: Re: Duplex Scale Tuning

> In a message dated 12/20/1999 11:23:10 PM, you wrote:
>
> <<"Shouldnt we know how to tune the duplex-system to pass the PTG exam?
It
> must be important or piano makers wouldn't bother with it.
> Johannes">>
>
> Johannes;
>  First, No we shouldn't know how to tune the duplexes to pass the
eaxm...heck
> we could hardly agree on the tuning of the temperament much less a
duplex!!
> :-)
>   The importance of 'most' duplex scales falls somewhere in between 'white
> sidewall tires' and 'twelve speed toasters'.
> My view.
> Jim Bryant (FL)

Jim,

While I agree that making the tuning of these things part of the tuning exam
would probably not be the wisest move PTG could make, I'm not sure I would
equate the tuned duplex system with either white sidewall tires -- if you
don't like them, just put the white part inside -- or with twelve-speed
toasters -- now I can burn my English muffin twelve ways instead of just
one, but still, its just a muffin.  At worst, these "features" do little
harm.

Then think back ... about how often questions come up just on this list that
concern the various string noises, sustain problems and other related
maladies that are associated with tuned duplex scales?  They are fairly
frequent.  And, for what?  The tuned duplex system is obviously not needed
for good piano tone, indeed it is counterproductive in most cases.

If it were just a matter of misplaced marketing zeal, that would be one
thing.  But the piano is better off with this "feature" designed out of the
system.

Regards,

Del