Haines grand rep springs (again)

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:07:45 -0500

At 08:39 AM 12/22/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>Can real wippens be retro-fitted to the action?  I don't see any
>>historical value in restoration.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Jon Page
>Well, it may be possible (I don't have the action with me), but it seemed
>to me that the labor involved in removing all the wippens, fabricating new
>springs, pulling the old ones out & putting the new ones in, would be the
>most cost effective way to go.<snip>
>I can't believe that there's only two people on the list trying to keep a
>Haines grand chuggin' along. You must all lead most exemplary lifes to not
>have accumulated enough karma to have run into these beasts.

>Patrick Draine

Come to think of it, I have encountered one of these. I though it was a
novelty
item, thrown together with spare square grand parts by a retired factory
worker
way back then.

I did get it working after the 'rebuilder' failed to do so. But other than
'making it work',
I would not have gone to great lengths to resurrect it.

I gave him a price for conversion and never heard from him again, just as
well.

Regards,

Jon Page
piano technician; Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net