Tuesday evening's tuning

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 10:26:23 EST

piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca writes:

<< There are circumstances, that do necessitate a pitch raise on an old
 neglected piano.
 Lessons could have been started, and it was all the family could afford for
 a child taking lessons.
 I always ask, what the piano is used for, before making a judgement on a
 pitch raise. I wouldn't want to make a blanket statement about  pitch raise.
 Just my thoughts on this subject.
 Regards,
 John M. Ross >>

In a situation like this, I tell my customer what is going on, and recommend
that they start looking for another, better piano, as soon as the student
shows an interest in continuing with the lessons. I have found that these
older pianos need more than just a pitch raise. Most likely the parts are
worn out, and making repairs become futile.

As I have stated many times on the list, pianos that are more than 75 years
old need to be retired. Only in rare and unusual circumstances are these
pianos worth restoring. (Sorry to all you tuners out there who think these
older pianos are worth their weight in gold.)

Willem