Trouble setting string

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sat, 25 Dec 1999 00:38:20 +0100

I started using this pin setting technique about 20 years ago, and with it ended
my need for pounding. The description below is really quite good exactation to
what I do. While in recent years I have found a need to improve on my tuning
skills, I have never had any trouble with tuning stability. In fact its always
been my strongest asset as a tuner.

Took me a while to get the hang of it back then, and I use a firm thumb blow as I
tune each note to be sure, but no pounding is neccessary. Just a little upward
plus on the pin after it is set where you want it.

Jon Page wrote:

> As I said before I think the class was given by George Defabaugh
> in which he demonstrated that the tuning is more stable if the
> pin to counter-bearing string segment is left with a higher tension
> by coming up rather than lowering tension to desired tension.
>
> The friction on the c/b & v-bar will not allow the tension to slip as easily
> with a higher tension in this area. A lower tension on this side of the
> speaking length is not as stable. One aspect of the friction's effect is to
> slightly
> lower the tension first before pulling up so as to reduce the occurrence of
> breaking
> a string by the added tension on this side of the bearing points before the
> string moves over the bars, agraffes and c/b felt.
>
> This is not to say, do not over-shoot but don't come down to the pitch and
> leave it there. There is a series of turning of the pin to raise and lower the
> tension. Each time the change is less and less until you are just dealing with
> the torque in the pin. I always end this series of pin setting with a nudge to
> bring the tension up.
> You know, the small, finesse, hammer wobbling to set the pin. With the last
> motion on up tension the string becomes set better as well.
>
> With some pianos there is no finesse, Aeolian Chickerings for one, with the
> steep angle causing friction overload. These I would just pull up and leave them
>
> because if you try to lower the tension, by the time the tension drops enough
> for the friction to slip, the tension is well below pitch.

I agree. A smooth and slow as possible up to pitch motion and leave it there,
sometimes I experience that the pitch will rise a bit if it moves at all
afterwards.

> That's how I've been doing it ever since that class way back then and it has
> not failed   Your results may vary,

> HH, MC,
>
> Jon Page
> piano technician; Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
> mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway