Steinway Damper Afterring

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 17:45:30 -0500

A piano of that vintage did have the stiff fibre sostenuto tabs.
The spring loaded version is a dramatic improvement. Since
she is an accomplished player she will appreciate the improvement.

The difference between the two is the affect upon release of the sos pedal.
With the fiber tabs, the rod thumps on any lifted underlevers; if they are
individual notes then the thump is felt in the keys (annoying), if it is the
damper pedal then a louder thump is heard.  with the spring tabs, the rod
just glides right by them.

The Renner USA Kit is cheaper than buying it from S&S and you are
guaranteed a proper fit.  New S&S underlevers are Renner anyways.
The instructions are simple and the assembly can be duplicated in a few hours.

For measuring the spring tension I raise/support  the tray and on the
workbench
and  individually rest the underlevers on a gram scale. Measurement is
taken at
about the rest position.

Go for it,

Jon Page