Electric Pianos

Ed Carwithen musicman@highdesertnet.com
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 08:43:45 -0800

Ammunition for those who think that electric keyboards will take the place
of pianos.

  My school bought a very nice Yamaha Clavinova for the choral department 4
years ago.  As I am, at best, a poor pianist, and certainly unable to
accompany a choir, it has been a godsend.  I can record my accompaniments,
it works with my computer, it has been very versatile in every way.

  The G4 note developed a horrible twang.  I took it to be repaired.  The
part is no longer available in the catalogue.  If yamaha doesn't happen to
have it somewhere just laying around, the keyboard is not repairable.
$4,000+ of instrument just useless!  "Gee, we're sorry to break this news
to you, but that is how it is!"

  Maybe Yamaha should be upfront with this particular problem.  If your
$4,000 keyboard should need repair, you might not be able to get parts.
Only four years old, and has been obsolete for three!

  Don't get rid of those old pianos guys.  They will hold on to their
value, Electric "pianos" don't!

Ed Carwithen
John Day, OR