Help on repairs!!

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 18:35:42 EST

In a message dated 12/29/1999 3:06:38 PM Pacific Standard Time,
JSmith3109@AOL.COM writes:

> Cable-Nelson Ser.#316422 (1948-49) I have tuned the piano for
>  about 10 years. Many times they call me about keys that do not work.

Is this a console? The front of the key might be too heavy, putting a tiny
bit of pressure upward at the capstan and removing the lost motion necessary
to let the jack back under the butt. The added weight of the hammer/butt will
cause it to go almost back, but the wippen needs to push the key away from
the butt.

To test, push the hammer forward about 1/4 or 3/8 inch, then push the key
down a little, and see if the weight of the wippen is sufficient to cause it
to return. I bet it isn't. You might have to put a little lead in the backs
of the keys.

Bob Davis