Three questions about tuning

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 19:55:55 EST

Mjacobucci@cs.com writes:

> When I come upon a neglected instrument (several years since being
>  tuned) I always attempt to warn the customer before hand (in fact mostly
>  during the intial phone call)  that it may need several tunings in order
>  remain at pitch and in tune....   Explaining
>  the necessity sometimes sounds a little squirrelly though. What is the
most
>  honorable way to handle this?

Mark,
When you say "honorable" I assume you mean fair and straightforward. I
haven't found that clients are surprised when I tell them, in the first phone
conversation, that a piano which has not had regular maintenance (at least
once a year) sometimes requires a little additional time for me to stabilize
the tension at standard pitch before I can do a fine tuning that will stay
put. I tell them that my regular tuning fee is $XX, plus any additional time
for the pre-tuning, and that that extra time very seldom exceeds [insert your
rate for one hour]. I charge only for what it takes. After the tuning, I
mention the need for regular, at least annual, service, and suggest retuning
in six months for at least this time.

If the tuner is clear in his/her own mind that the extra time is the result
of lack of necessary service [I almost said "neglect", but that is
unnecessarily pejorative], it becomes obvious to both tuner and client why it
is fair [and honorable] to charge a little more for the extra effort.

You mentioned "extra tunings." If the piano is properly pre-tuned, it should
sound absolutely fine six months later [given stable humidity, of course]. I
believe Al Sanderson says that a piano may be fine-tuned when within 5 cents.
I think this is WAAY too wide, and suggest quick passes until it is within
1-2 cents of wherever you want it. An experienced tuner can get most pianos
to this point (I am assuming standard pitch in any but the most extreme
circumstances) in 20-45 minutes, so it is more cost-effective for the client
than retuning in a few days or weeks. If return visits are required, I would
suggest more focus on efficient pre-tuning.

Good luck,
Bob Davis
Stockton, CA