Final Tuning + New International Pitch

Fri, 31 Dec 1999 07:58:08 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Cole <tcole@cruzio.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, December 31, 1999 1:00 AM
Subject: Re: Final Tuning + New International Pitch

> I had planned for the week off until I got a call Tuesday morning from
> someone who wanted their piano tuned that same day. Furthermore, she
> wanted it tuned to A=432. I said that I could do it but it would cost
> $150, thinking she wouldn't go for it. She did hesitate but then said
> that she needed to speak with her husband (plus probably every tuner in
> the Yellow Pages).
>
> Two hours later, I got another call asking if I was still willing to do
> the job. So, no discount for being last piano of the year. In fact, it
> was the first tuning of my career for which I was asked to set pitch at
> 432 Hz.
>
> Apparently, someone was coming to demonstrate that this is a natural
> pitch that agrees with certainly natural rhythms. I spoke with him on
> the phone and he said that there is a movement afoot, spearheaded by the
> Italians, to establish 432 as the international pitch. The rationale I
> was offered sounded pretty Twinkie-headed. Anybody ever hear of such a
> thing?
>
> Tom

Yes.

While I was at Baldwin I was asked to read through a very lengthy -- about
10 of 12 pages of single-spaced typing -- tome on the subject.

None of it made much sense, but if we want to be in tune with all of those
universal waves we only have a few hours left in which to comply.

Regards and a Happy New Year (at A=440, I trust...)

Del