Help on repairs!!

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 18:57:26 EST

Bill Costanzo writes:

"[Ray Chandler] said get the hammers
checking as close to the strings as possible, but I've found that even a
small adjustment can be enough.  Doing this allows a little more time for the
jack to return under the butt.  I've used this fix when everything else like
springs, actions centers, and regulation checks out, and it works every time."

Bill,
This is indeed a good idea, but it solves only one of two problems, medium to
quick repetition. The note must repeat under ALL conditions, including when
the player releases the note very slowly. In this case, we must make sure
that the combined weight of the wippen plus the back of the key is enough to
more than counterbalance the front of the key, and cause it to keep going up
(and the jack down past the butt) when the hammershank stops at the rest rail.

Newton's comprehensive list is great for a general diagnosis, but I took the
writer at face value that the jack and wippen centers were working properly,
and the key bushings weren't too tight.

>"IMO, It feels better than adding weights too."

I want to make it clear that I don't advocate solving all action problems
with weights, but this is one case is which nothing but more weight in either
the back of the key or the wippen will solve a design problem, no matter what
it feels like.

Happy New Year,
Bob Davis