Friday Cries (not technical)

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Fri, 05 Feb 1999 12:01:56

At 08:00 AM 2/5/99 -0700, John wrote:
>I thought that I had had just about everything happen to me while tuning
>that I could imagine - "You don't mind if I run the vaccuum?"  Humming
>what the customer perceived to be correct pitch in my ear, and the likes.
> But, two days ago I was tuning a new YC.  After doing about 3+ octaves,
>the customer came in the room with her husband and said that they had
>decided that they wanted the piano against a different wall - some 20
>feet from its location at the time.  Well, it was their piano so I
>couldn't exactly stop them.  Yes, they did move the piano and then said
>"Hope that didn't raise havoc with the last 1/2 hour of work that you
>have done."  I had to do it all over again , of course, but next time I
>do it for them I'm going to be sure that the instrument is where they
>want it to STAY before I even open the lid.
>
>John R. Fortiner
>Billings, MT.

Dear John,

I don't see why this should have destroyed your tuning.... just rolling
it across the room? And it's a new piano, presumably without incredibly
loose pins?

The only time I know of when moving like this will ruin a tuning is
if one of the legs of an upright is off the ground, due to an unevenness
of the floor. Then the piano can flex, and throw off a tuning across
the break by several beats. The smaller the piano, the greater the flex.
Put a block or caster cup under the caster to fill up the space, and
the tuning heals itself.

At least, that's been my experience.

Susan

Susan Kline