Steinway Vertical Climate Control/Damppchaser humidistat longevity

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 01:31:29 EST

Jim, thanks for your note.   I need to put a system in my own Steinway upright
(has the cast duplex bar) - Grandma brought it from Missouri to Pasadena in
1909, and now its in my house - I hate to tune it (my associate did for my
birthday, first tuning in about 10 years), and a Damppchaser is the way to go.
Great piano when in tune.

 About Damppchaser systems:  Now that the humidistats on some of these systems
are getting along in years, are they showing signs of malfunction?  The pianos
we have discussed have systems 15-20 years old and they are very stable, but I
wonder if anyone has studied these older systems.  I have several old
humidistats and think I will set up an older system in my old Steinway, set a
Radio Shack or Damppchaser humidity gauge in it for a week and check its high
and low readings.   Not real accurate but it should tell something.    Maybe
the folks at Damppchaser have a pretty good idea of their longevity.  Should
we begin replacing systems after a time?

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University
25826 Davis Way
Loma Linda, CA  92354
(909) 796-4226