Steinway vert Tuning Lever Position

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 10:40:35 EST

In a message dated 2/5/99 11:25:40 PM Central Standard Time,
pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu writes:

<< Once the bottom of the pin is in the right place, tweaking the pitch to the
 right place is rather simple. I usually tune uprights with a hammer position
 around 2:00 O'Clock, using a Hale Tuning Lever.

 Jim Coleman, Sr. >>

I've always heard that Steinway verts are difficult to tune.  I learned my
hammer technique from Jim Coleman some 20 years ago.  I too put the hammer in
the 2 o'clock position.  I use a "Wonder Wand" that Charlie Heuther made for
me.  The difference for me between tuning the Steinway and any other verticle
is too small to really make an issue out of.  My only comment is that they
take a little less compensation in a pitch raise and they hold pitch better
than most other pianos.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin