War Stories

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 18:56:00 EST

In a message dated 2/6/99 4:20:35 AM !!!First Boot!!!, rootfamily@erols.com
writes:

<< TODAY'S WAR STORY . . . . .

 Today I did a first-time call on a Hobart M. Cable 51" vertical. Open
 pin panel.  Recently inherited. . . . maybe along with a few dollars.
 (I live in the mid-atlantic region of the east coast, which tends to be
 pretty hard on pianos).

 The 60-90 day estimate for the contracted work took 6 months.  (The
 technician had some medical problems.)  Work included: refinish closed
 pore, hammers, dampers, keytops, key bushings, bridle straps, restring
 most of the top octave, twist bass strings, epoxy bass bridge, regulate
 action, polish hardware, etc., etc..

 Customer was not happy with 'craftsmanship'; didn't want to ask the
 technician to come out and correct 'problems'.

 I reglued three jacks (two out of position, one provoked by me), tuned
 the top octave which was waaaay out, installed a felt block under a
 pedal.  General inspection.  Owner is now happy (or resigned?) as there
 are no longer any outstanding problems witht he piano.

 I have ideas about pianos like this, some of which I've voiced before,
 but I'd rather throw it open for discussion instead of presenting what I
 think is right/wrong about this scenario.

 Carl Root, RPT >>

First of all, to do the kind of work that was contracted, is, in my opinion,
almost a waste of money. Unless the piano has great sentimental value, the
money spent on fixing up a piano like this should be spent on a newer piano
that needs less work, but will last longer in the long run.

When a customer wants me to "fix" the problems of another technician, I do it
very hesitantly. I want to make sure what work was contracted in the first
place, before I "repair" anything that might be wrong. As in the above case,
the upper strings were way out of tune was because they were replaced, so I
presume, Carl, that you explained that to the customer. As far as any other
work, if it makes the customer happier to have me do it, instead of asking the
first technician to come back, I will. But, again, I want to make sure the
customer understands that the problems might not have been the "fault" of the
other technician, unless, of course, there was blatant bad work. I always
stress that the customer should try to get the original technician to finish
the work

In my Psychological Troubleshooting article, I make mention of the complaining
customer. You should consider the complaining customer to be your best friend.
(Only your best friend will tell you you have bad breath). A customer who
complains about the work you did, and gives you a chance to correct your
problem, is much better than the customer who tells her friends about the bad
work you did. And you know how fast bad news travels. By the same token, if
you can persuade the customer to give the other technician a chance to correct
any mistakes, it will not only help the other technician, but it will give you
a good image to the customer at the same time.

Willem Blees