Steinway uprt

James Grebe pianoman@inlink.com
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 21:01:29 -0600

Hi all,
On Friday I tuned a tuned a circa 1890's Steinway upright.  It was about =
15c below A-440.  Raised it up as is my custom.  I already know it =
wasn't designed for A-440.  Got to the last octave and blewy a string =
broke. The coils had at least 6 turns on them and that a was a life =
saver in that I was able to uncoil one and pull the string around to =
wind on the other pin.  Did that and  got it tuned and two notes later =
another one broke.  Same deal.  The six turns of coil saved me again.  =
Does any one know how long they were so generous in the number of turns =
on their coils ?
          "Tranquility Base"  now under construction
                    ETA   April, 99
James Grebe=20
R.P.T. and M.P.T.
 from St. Louis                              =20
pianoman@inlink.com
Creator of Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups
                       and
Practical Piano Peripherals