Steinway Vertical Climate Control/Damppchaser humidistat longevity

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Sun, 07 Feb 1999 09:27:55 -0600

Hi,

Inside the older damppchaser controllers you will find a honeywell
humidistat. It relies on a plastic film of some kind that expands and
contracts and operates a mechanical switch. I have no details regarding
aging, perhaps we have a honeywell connection somewhere on this list?

At 09:40 AM 2/7/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Bdshull@AOL.COM wrote:
>>
>> Jim, thanks for your note.   I need to put a system in my own Steinway
upright
>> (has the cast duplex bar) - Grandma brought it from Missouri to Pasadena in
>> 1909, and now its in my house - I hate to tune it (my associate did for my
>> birthday, first tuning in about 10 years), and a Damppchaser is the way
to go.
>> Great piano when in tune.
>>
>>  About Damppchaser systems:  Now that the humidistats on some of these
systems
>> are getting along in years, are they showing signs of malfunction?  The
pianos
>> we have discussed have systems 15-20 years old and they are very stable,
but I
>> wonder if anyone has studied these older systems.  I have several old
>> humidistats and think I will set up an older system in my old Steinway,
set a
>> Radio Shack or Damppchaser humidity gauge in it for a week and check its
high
>> and low readings.   Not real accurate but it should tell something.
Maybe
>> the folks at Damppchaser have a pretty good idea of their longevity.
Should
>> we begin replacing systems after a time?
>>
>> Bill Shull
>> University of Redlands, La Sierra University
>> 25826 Davis Way
>> Loma Linda, CA  92354
>> (909) 796-4226
>

>I suspect that there is not much to the humidistat.  In the early 80's I
>was an engineer and did some work that required monitoring of humidity.
>
>The device we used looked like a rear window defogger, only about 2" X
>2". It had a fine wire in a zig-zag pattern that covered one side of the
>device.  The electrical resistance of the wire was proportional to the
>humidity.  If the humidity changed, so did the resistance of the wire.
>The resistance change was monitored by an electonic circuit that
>controlled an analog meter to indicate humidity changes.
>
>I bet the humidistat uses a similar arrangement.  At the two extremes of
>the desired humidity window, a switch (it could be a relay or an
>electronic switch)is activated to turn on the heater bar or the
>humidifier.
>
>I feel certain that very few of the humidistats are no longer
>functional.  At worst, they may be a little out of calibration, but as
>long as the humidity remains somewhat constant, you won't notice.
>
>If things seem ok....if the piano is holding its pitch....the system is
>ok.
>--
>
>Frank Cahill
>Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild
>Northern Va

Regards,

drose@dlcwest.com
http://www.dlcwest.com/~drose/