7' weight - rules

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 20:09:49 EST

Someone wrote:

<<Just out of curiosity, how much per pound do they pay?>>

I am pretty sure that the amount they pay per pound for damaged furniture is
related to rulings and conditions of the Interstate Commerce Commission. Years
ago they were successfully lobbied to limit damages to a per pound basis, and
they did. If I remember right, it was about 50 cents per pound. I do not know
if the rulings still stand, but I would not be surprised if they did. ( That
is why you are smart to buy additional insurance)

By the way - a similar ruling, or condition, exists for the major
international airlines, limiting the maximum damage claim per passenger life
lost to about $1,500. ( there is a similar maximum claim on baggage limited to
a few cents per pound,) This was set up decades ago so that the financial
damage to young airlines would not break them. I think those rules are still
in effect, but of course liability suits cut through them.

These are just general recollections of mine, I would be interested if someone
out there definitively knows about the above "terms and conditions" in moving
and flying.

Bill Simon
Phoenix