Player action, piano line drawings

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@NAU.EDU
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 10:36:03 -0700

Dan Eumurian wrote:

> I am fixing up a Cable Euphona Inner Player #252293 (ca. 1924) upright
> which was missing the upper player mechanism when I first saw it.

<SNIP>

> My questions are these:
> 1.) Is there by chance an upper player mechanism available for such a piano?

Unlikely.  Player actions are not universal.  Everything must line up
exactly, i.e. key spacing, number of notes per section, sticker height,
etc.  You must have the one that came out of it originally.  A player
action that is IDENTICAL to the old one might fit but would still
require work.  Kind of like swaping the actions from two identical
uprights.  They will fit but will still require a lot of physical
adjustments and regulation to make it fit correctly.  Even so, good luck
finding an identical player action.

> 2.) Does anyone know of line drawings of various models of pianos and actions that I > could duplicate

Check with "Player Piano Company"  (316) 263-3241

> 3.) How can I clean up the dingy-looking keysticks and action parts?

Perhaps glass bead or walnut shell blasting.

If it were me I would seek out another player that doesn't have parts
missing or screwed with.  There are many out there to choose from.  In
either case you are probably looking at major rebuilding anyway.

Rob Goodale, RPT