Breaking Bass String

gbros@term.wanweb.net gbros@term.wanweb.net
Mon, 15 Feb 99 11:39:37 -0000

I could use some suggestions for a bass string problem I'm having.

The piano is a 1920's upright in otherwise decent condition.  While
tuning it, I broke a bass string two or three notes down from the tenor
break--it's one of a bichord pair.  The string broke at the upper stagger
pin between the tuning pin and speaking length, leaving inadequate core
wire to tie.  I pulled out a matching universal replacement and prepared
it, installed it, and this string broke at the pin as well, as I was
pulling it up.  I tried this with two more replacement strings, with the
same result before I gave up in puzzlement.

I checked the area around the stagger pin as well as I could, but found
nothing out of the ordinary, at least that I could see or feel.

Is it possible there's a metal burr or something else that's cutting into
the core wire enough to weaken it at that point and cause it to break?

Anybody have any other suggestions related to this, especially how I can
get a string to stay in there at pitch without breaking?  Obviously, I'm
missing something.

Thanks

John Granholm
PTG Associate and longtime list-lurker