BLUE SKY VALUE

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 16:40:11 -0400

Don wrote:
> I once paid $5.00 for a list of 143 names and addresses. It was possibly
> the worst decision I *ever* made. It took me 5 years to break even.

You've got to do a serious evaluation of the business records before
putting a value on it.

> People don't want *another* tuner they want you.

They can't have you, so what's their next choice?  Take the
recommendation of their technician or pick a name out of the phone
book.  What would you do in their shoes?

This BLUE SKY business is really strange.  Does it apply to salaried
employees who have a reputation within an industry and could go to work
for anyone?  I've seen net worth statements that include the next five
year's salaried income.

Back to the original question, a business has intrinsic value and market
value.  Even if I think a well run business could be worth a full year's
income - and I do - that doesn't mean anything if there's no indication
that everyone in the very small group of potential buyers disagrees.

Carl