ETD's; selling RCT and Mac powerbook

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:43:42 -0600

Hi,

Are you using advanced mode? If so you can *customize* RCT's tunings from
the Custom EQ section. It may also be that you are trying to correct pitch
more than is possible--anything over 4 cents on *any* note and I am in
pitch correction mode.

Do you norally stretch your tunings extra wide or extra narrow?

At 07:05 AM 2/16/99 -0500, you wrote:
>This came as a surprise to me when I started using RCT several weeks
>ago.  I was led to believe that RCT would improve my tunings greatly
>over what I could do aurally, so it was demoralizing to finish a tuning
>and think, "Whoa!  I don't like this at all!"  I suppose this is covered
>in the manual that comes with the software, but I am having trouble
>taking the time to read it all.
>
>Does it work, after the tuning is calculated, to just do a couple
>octaves aurally in the tenor break area and follow RCT for the rest?  Or
>are there other helpful hints?  (Oh, yes, the piano in question was
>definitely scale-challenged!  :-))
>
>Clyde Hollinger, RPT
>Lititz, PA
>
>Alan McCoy wrote:
>
>> 5. Bass/tenor break and related scale-challenged pianos: I'm not sure
there is
>> a clear winner here either. You just can't stop using your ears and the
>> computer between your ears. Some pianos just require unacceptable
compromises -
>> either there is a glitch in the thirds and sixths, or the octaves,
fifths, and
>> fourths are terrible, or all of the above. The SAT uses the 4th partial
and 6:3
>> octaves into the bass, and RCT lets you choose the 3rd or 4th partial
and the
>> 5th or 6th partial. I have tried both. If there is an advantage here I
believe
>> it is with RCT because you can choose your poison. With both machines
you have
>> to devise some method of compromise. I can't stand bad octaves or bad
fifths so
>> I tend to favor them, but in so doing my thirds don't progress smoothly
(what
>> the hell - some pianos just have outrageous glitches!)  For this region
of the
>> scale it is often simplest to just do it by ear rather than with either
>> machine.

Regards,

drose@dlcwest.com
http://www.dlcwest.com/~drose/