Broken action screw

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 14:22:38 EST

John Ross wrote:

<<I would give a second thought to putting Protek grease on the screw to make
it
easier to go in. >>

Absolutely correct! Don't  any lubricants, oils or greases on anything stuck
into the pinblock.  Grease should never be used anyways, but even beeswax on
screws has migrated and ruined pinblocks, and one company went bankrupt trying
to cope with bad pinblocks causes by dipping the plate screws into some
unknown lubricant.

The only lubricant I have ever heard that was safe for pinblocks was diluted
varnish, a spot on the end of the pin for drivingf them in. I tried it once or
twice and a LOT of pin torque was lost in a brand new block just by the
varnish. The pin torque never really came fully back either.

NO grease, NO oil.

Bill Simon
Phoenix