Number of the rib

John Hartman pianocraft@sprintmail.com
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 21:32:03 -0500

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> Hi Gang,
>
> Does anyone know the real, actual, officially sanctioned convention for
> numbering soundboard ribs? I've always assumed #1 to be at the bottom, the
> low bass, like unison numbering, but others start counting at the last
> treble rib. I know it's not a real earth shaking technical question, but it
> does make some difference which rib #4 you're talking about if you're
> comparing crown measurement notes with someone else. Anyone know for sure,
> or *is* there a "for sure"?
>
> I've finally figured out what's wrong with people. We become zygotic soon
> after conception, then promptly diversify like crazy.
>
>  Ron

Hey Ron,

As you know some techs are best advised to start at the bottom and work
their way to the top while others should start at the top and sink
slowly to the bottom. Why not do as I do and give them names instead of
numbers. Some systems I have tried are solfiege (sp?) Do, Ra, Me … Or
Santa's rain deer, The first 13 Presidents or State capitals in
alphabetical order. If you must use numbers how about making it a bit
less tedious and use roman numerals, cubes 1, 8, 27, 64,,,  Primes are
good and my favorite and new shop standard the Riven numerals.

Hope this helps,

JH