Steinway Pedal dowel

CCLPianos@AOL.COM CCLPianos@AOL.COM
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 11:36:36 EST

Wimblees@AOL.COM wrote:

> On a 2 year old Steinway upright, model K, the 5/8" in diameter wood sustain

> rod passes through a felt bushed hole. The rubbing of the dowel on the felt

> makes a lot of noise. Any suggesting on how to eliminate the rubbing sound,
or

> how to remove the some of the felt in the hole?

I agree with Del, if you have access to a buffer/polishing wheel, just buff it
out. The wood actually shines and feels like a metal surface. Short of that,
sanding can help, but will never get as smooth as high speed buffing. Another
possibility is applying a little sanding sealer and sand it down with very
fine paper. It might take two applications, but it'll work.
Pat Wethington