tuning exam what it *is* and what it *is not*

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 18:01:27 -0700 (MST)

Hi Don:

You bring up some good points.

First, we don't run across pianos which are sharp, flat, sharp etc.  This
is prepared this way as an advantage to the examinee so that he is not
raising pitch and also so that he does not get any freebies.

Second, the time limit is quite generous. 45 minutes to tune one string each
over a two octave range aurally (octaves 3 & 4). This is Part 1. Part 2.
involves tuning the Treble, High treble, and & Bass (one string per note)
and the time allowed in 60 minutes. Again this should not be considered a
time restraint, but it quite generous. Next, another 30 minutes is allowed
for tuning out the unisons in octaves 3 & 4. This makes a total of 2
hours and 15 minutes and the piano is still not completely tuned.

I like your conclusion: All that matters is unisons. But, we should be able
to show some ability in the other things we test for.

Jim Coleman, Sr.