Wonderwand

Ken Burton kwburton@cadvision.com
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 06:51:29 -0700

            David,
            For what it's worth, here's my choice for a tuning hammer. I use
the Schaff mini-extension hammer with a shaft from their regular extension
hammer. It's a work-horse and doesn't wobble or click, even when extended
out the 12 or 13 inches.
            At first, I put a wonderwand-type ball on the handle but it
sometimes hurt my fingers when tuning tight pins. So I carved a piece of
walnut in the same shape as my Corolla's gear shift handle, had a 1 1/8"
hole drilled in it and it friction fits the handle for upright pianos. I
stand to tune them and the handle is so comfortable that my fingers and arms
love it.
            I also stand to tune grands as use the hammer as is.
            Ken
                        Ken Burton "Doctor Piano" Calgary Alberta
                                   kwburton@cadvision.com
-----Original Message-----
From: David ilvedson <ilvey@jps.net>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Thursday, February 18, 1999 9:52 PM
Subject: Wonderwand

List,

As I reported previously my Wonderwand broke at the tip and
today I was forced back to my Yamaha hammer, actually I had to
use the gooseneck yesterday from my string repair kit. Lo and
behold I rediscovered my hammer control which had mysteriouly
disappeared when I went to the Wonderwand (no offense intended).
Some time ago I was developing muscle pain in my forarm and
tried the balltype hammer in hopes of relief.  The relief came
and I have had little arm problems lately.  So today I'm back to
the Yamaha hammer.  I remember Newton? complaining about the
Wonderwand flexing too much for him, some time back.  Well I
think that is what I just de-experienced...I think my good
Yamaha hammer is NOT flexing and my tuning technique felt great!
Problem is I also had some lower arm discomfort at the end of
the day...What I need is a regular hammer with a ball?

Any imput is appreciated...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA
ilvey@jps.net