loose tuning pins

Paul Plumb plumb@execulink.com
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 21:19:07 -0500

Dear list,

I just read with interest an article in the Feb 99 Journal suggesting that
repair methods for loose tuning pins are "in order of overall
effectiveness: walnut or beech veneer, 3 hour epoxy, used tapered pins,
sandpaper, chemical treatment, 5 minute epoxy, thin cyanoacrylate, tapping,
new pins two sizes larger, and metal bushings".

The article claims that the walnut or beech veneer would last about 5 - 10
years.  When repinning an entire piano the rule of thumb seems to be new
pins driven in that are two sizes larger.  From where the installation of
new pins appears in the list above in order of overall effectiveness, it
would suggest doping or even tapping is better than repinning.  I have
found many pianos that have been doped to no avail that I have put in
larger pins, and many years later they are still holding well.  I would
like to read some of your comments on this "order" and perhaps some
comments on each method mentioned.

Paul Plumb, B.Mus.,
PTG Associate Member
Plumb Pianos