loose tuning pins

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 21:17:48 -0600

Hi Paul,
            I will try to give some order and reasons.
#1. Hand reaming  and two sizes over will give results that should be
equivalent to a new pin block, even torque through out if done properly,
and will last for years. This is the only serious long term repair for a
sound pin block.

The rest of the list, are all valid fixes for the odd loose tuning pin.

First choice,  over size pin. Same reason as above.
Second, CA glue or epoxy. I have found this to have good lasting qualities.
Third, Sand paper shim a reasonable field repair on an old clunker with
tired strings.
Fourth, Tapping the pins in a little further will give a possible 4 or 5
years of extra life.

I do not like pin block restorer or brass shims, if the instrument is to re
strung at a later date, you will find that you will probably have to
replace the block.

I probably drill out and plug 3 or 4 really loose holes a year. This an
option not mentioned, but IMHO gives a very professional repair especially
on a good quality piano. The advantage is that you end up with the same
size tuning pin with like new torque. I use 24hr epoxy to glue the plugs.

Putting veneer into the hole is marginal owing to the fact that the pin is
holding on side grain instead of end grain.

Now I await the flames, as you get many differing opinions.

Use common sense, if it's a fine piano use the quality solutions, some one
may have to do a complete restoration at a later date.

Regards Roger

At 09:19 PM 19/02/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear list,
>
>I just read with interest an article in the Feb 99 Journal suggesting that
>repair methods for loose tuning pins are "in order of overall
>effectiveness: walnut or beech veneer, 3 hour epoxy, used tapered pins,
>sandpaper, chemical treatment, 5 minute epoxy, thin cyanoacrylate, tapping,
>new pins two sizes larger, and metal bushings".
>
>The article claims that the walnut or beech veneer would last about 5 - 10
>years.  When repinning an entire piano the rule of thumb seems to be new
>pins driven in that are two sizes larger.  From where the installation of
>new pins appears in the list above in order of overall effectiveness, it
>would suggest doping or even tapping is better than repinning.  I have
>found many pianos that have been doped to no avail that I have put in
>larger pins, and many years later they are still holding well.  I would
>like to read some of your comments on this "order" and perhaps some
>comments on each method mentioned.
>
>Paul Plumb, B.Mus.,
>PTG Associate Member
>Plumb Pianos