loose tuning pins

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 19:40:23 EST

In a message dated 2/19/99 6:28:32 PM Pacific Standard Time,
plumb@execulink.com writes:

<<
 I just read with interest an article in the Feb 99 Journal suggesting that
 repair methods for loose tuning pins are "in order of overall
 effectiveness: walnut or beech veneer, 3 hour epoxy, used tapered pins,
 sandpaper, chemical treatment, 5 minute epoxy, thin cyanoacrylate, tapping,
 new pins two sizes larger, and metal bushings".

 The article claims that the walnut or beech veneer would last about 5 - 10
 years.  When repinning an entire piano the rule of thumb seems to be new
 pins driven in that are two sizes larger.  From where the installation of
 new pins appears in the list above in order of overall effectiveness, it
 would suggest doping or even tapping is better than repinning.  I have
 found many pianos that have been doped to no avail that I have put in
 larger pins, and many years later they are still holding well.  I would
 like to read some of your comments on this "order" and perhaps some
 comments on each method mentioned.

 Paul Plumb, B.Mus.,
 PTG Associate Member
 Plumb Pianos

 The best way is to measure the original torque then test with oversize pins.
2 sizes over may not be necessary.  I am stringing an upright that has around
100 pounds with 2/0 pins.  By the time I remove them, the friction will
reduce, so by reaming around 4-5000 undersize, testing as well, 3/0 will do.

Dave Peake, RPT
Oregon City, OR
Portland Chapter