S&S capo

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 20:34:05 EST

Mark writes:

> Grotrian Steinweg
>done in Sydney Australia by Ron Overs, where the front duplex was too long
>and produced a frequency low enough to be a real problem. His fix involved
>putting in a small pressure bar. This roughly halved the speaking length
>of the duplex thus raising the frequency produced by this section to a point
>well above the problem.

Greetings,
    I was going to mention doing this.  On a Steinway D,  there is room for a
small half-round to fit under the top string, on that small shelf.  You will
usually need to pull the action out and tap them in under the strings.
Depending on the plate, some tension may need to be lowered.  The metal pieces
will be somewhere between 4 and 8 mm in height.  This shortens the upper
string considerably, and usually kills the problem.  The super glue on the
string is a nice technique when time is measured in minutes and SOMETHING has
to be done RIGHT NOW!.
    There is also the technique of using a stringing hook to put a slight kink
in the wire, sideways, right by the last bearing point.  It is easy to try,
seems like it gives results in about 40% of the sizzles.
REgards,
Ed Foote