S&S capo

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 18:27:10 +0000

You can also tap/seat the string at that same last bearing
point.  Often you can see string press down tighter and I have
had success with sizzling in this area.  Also adding a brass
piece to the top of that last bearing bar will give you more
angle.  Lots of things to try...

David Ilvedson, RPT

> From:          A440A@AOL.COM
> Date:          Sun, 21 Feb 1999 20:34:05 EST
> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject:       Re: S&S capo

> Mark writes:
>
> > Grotrian Steinweg
> >done in Sydney Australia by Ron Overs, where the front duplex was too long
> >and produced a frequency low enough to be a real problem. His fix involved
> >putting in a small pressure bar. This roughly halved the speaking length
> >of the duplex thus raising the frequency produced by this section to a point
> >well above the problem.
>
> Greetings,
>     I was going to mention doing this.  On a Steinway D,  there is room for a
> small half-round to fit under the top string, on that small shelf.  You will
> usually need to pull the action out and tap them in under the strings.
> Depending on the plate, some tension may need to be lowered.  The metal pieces
> will be somewhere between 4 and 8 mm in height.  This shortens the upper
> string considerably, and usually kills the problem.  The super glue on the
> string is a nice technique when time is measured in minutes and SOMETHING has
> to be done RIGHT NOW!.
>     There is also the technique of using a stringing hook to put a slight kink
> in the wire, sideways, right by the last bearing point.  It is easy to try,
> seems like it gives results in about 40% of the sizzles.
> REgards,
> Ed Foote

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA