Shameless Advertising - new tool

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 17:02:39 -0500

Nice to know about this Don.

I have used this type of tool for 25 years or more.  I like to carry
1/16" b 1" strips, 2 6", 1 5", 1 4" and 1 3".  I have a 1"x12" steel
ruler upon which they are stuck for carrying.

I carry masking tape for use in the bass.

The strips of these lengths permits regulating 1/2 a grand action at a
time and also permits an optimum length for the bass section.  I use
the masking tape, two pieces, and cover 1/8" of the strips on each
side leaving a good 5/8" on each side to stick to the bottom of the
bass.

Before removing the action to put the taped strips in place check the
hammer strike location relative to the dampers so you will know where
to place the strips.

In the upright I will use two strips together for the treble and in
the bass I let the ruler rest on top of the dampers while two strips
adhere to the top edge of the ruler.

In the grands I use just one thickness.

In the grands I lift the hammer to the gage and work the key for each
movement of the letoff button.  I feel for the jack rubbing on the
bottom of the knuckle and adjust the letoff so there is just a barely
perceptible rub in the bass tapering to a good firm feel of let-off in
the treble.

In the upright I push the hammer rail as far forward as it will go
then with the gages in in place I push the hammer against the string
and move the backcheck forward and adjust the letoff so that the jack
just barely moves out, just short of locking up.

These procedures depend upon a good sense of feel for the workings of
the action but the the are incredibly accurate.

		Newton