Breaking strings (new angle?)

Lawsonic Pianoforte Services lawsonic@global.co.za
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 15:20:52 +0200

> Friends:
>
> Since most strings break at the tuning pin, could one reason be that it
> has been flexed there too much during tuning?  If so, we will find
> strings breaking faster in a piano where an inexperienced tuner went
> back and forth, back and forth, trying to figure out where to leave the
> tension.

perhaps combination of metal fatigue and that at a contact point string is
weaker
(sorry, never paid attenton in theory class to remember scientific
explanation) but we got several lengths of different size piano wire and it
streched and broke at the (contact point) place where it was clamped.

> Would it also follow, then, that a piano tuned 2-4 times a year will
> develop a breaking string problem faster than one that is tuned
> infrequently?  (Please!  I am NOT advocating out of tune pianos; my
> question is theoretical.)

I wouldn't think so, over a year and a half I tuned a piano at a studio at
least once a month - no strings broken. When I learnt piano tuning the
pianos used at the London College of Furniture were tuned about 3 times a
week - few broken strings, other than new students mistakes of tuning wrong
pin/playing another note.

> I am almost afraid to ask these questions, but they have crossed my mind
> repeatedly, and I would be interested in any response.
> Clyde Hollinger, RPT

If people didn't ask questions would the technology of 20th Century be
here?

Brian