Breaking strings (new angle?)

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 09:32:24 -0500

Clyde Hollinger wrote:

> Would it also follow, then, that a piano tuned 2-4 times a year will
> develop a breaking string problem faster than one that is tuned
> infrequently?  (Please!  I am NOT advocating out of tune pianos; my
> question is theoretical.)

Hi Clyde,
    I tuned 50 30-year old Hamilton practice pianos six times yearly in
our old music building for twelve years and broke very few strings.  I
probably broke more strings in limited outside work in a typical month
then on campus.  The concert pianos got complete tunings every two weeks
completely and many more superficial tunings for concerts.  I don't
think I ever broke a string on those pianos anywhere else but at a
bearing point.
    I have noticed that I break more 15 1/2 wires than any other size.
Ideas anyone?
-Mike Jorgensen RPT