why strings break.

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 10:45:29 -0500

Hi Don,

In 35 years I have seen many broken strings, even a couple that I
broke by mistake.

I have rarely seen strings break at the becket except during
repinning, dentensioning or other coil distrubances.

In a university setting string breakage is very common on strings over
20 years old.  Younger in practice rooms that are used 12 to 18 hours
a day six days a week.  These alway break at the upper terminal point.

Home pianos are rare but I have replaced many strings in home pianos,
especially teachers pianos.

High tension scales tend to have more string breakage and pianos under
playing stress like churches, night clubs and theatre pits are prone
to breakage because of the way they are used.

I have seen strings brak at the becket, bottom of the coil, agraffe,
hitch pin and rarely in the speaking length or between bridge and
hitch pin.

THere have been a number of instances when a batch of brittle wire got
out and into the field.  Once I had three pianos strung with a bad
batch of 16 gage wire.  Had to replace all of that gage.

All I can say, Don, is that you are one lucky fella.

		Newton