Splicing. What's the trick?

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 02:43:24 -0500

To those who support/endorse string-splicing:

I can splice just fine while practicing in front of the TV. On-site it's a
different story, especially with bass strings. If I remove wrap, the
resulting sound indicates I could have just as easily used a universal. If
I don't, the splice ends up getting in the way of upper plate pins
(upright). In any case, there's always the guessing factor... how much is
the new stub length going to stretch; how much to compensate for (the
tightest of static) knots, etc. I'd say my success rate is 5~10%. As a
result, I've wasted a lot of time for nothing, and failed to pass my own
subjective quality tests. Out of frustration, I subsequently have begun
replacing (both, if applicable) bass strings.

I know this has been discussed here, but only remember those who promote
splicing and those who don't. I don't recall any tricks, "how-to's", or
work-arounds in the threads. Oh yes, for the record, and in case it
matters, I prefer the Jim Hayes (Vice-Grip Jr.) splicing method.

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
Docs? We don't need no steenkin' docs!