Breaking strings (new angle?)

ANRPiano@AOL.COM ANRPiano@AOL.COM
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 03:23:45 EST

Clyde wrote:

 Since most strings break at the tuning pin, could one reason be that it
 has been flexed there too much during tuning?  If so, we will find
 strings breaking faster in a piano where an inexperienced tuner went
 back and forth, back and forth, trying to figure out where to leave the
 tension.

 Would it also follow, then, that a piano tuned 2-4 times a year will
 develop a breaking string problem faster than one that is tuned
 infrequently?  (Please!  I am NOT advocating out of tune pianos; my
 question is theoretical.)

 I am almost afraid to ask these questions, but they have crossed my mind
 repeatedly, and I would be interested in any response.

Clyde,

Here are my thoughts and observations.  My experience with broken strings can
be divided into to two sources.  The first being general field work.  In the
customers home (with one recent exception) most strings break at the tuning
pin.  The other is at Northern Illinois University where on these very heavily
used instruments strings break almost without exception at the pressure bar or
agraffe. The recent home exception was on a piano with a teenage male
exercising his muscles.

It seems to me you may be right.  On heavily used pianos the fatigue will
strike first at the pressure bar but on lightly used pianos the tuning pin
area may win the race to fatigue.