Glass Harmonium

Fri, 26 Feb 1999 05:12:13 -0600

Tom Cole wrote:

>According to the Harvard Dictionary of Music, the "glass harmonica" was
>invented by Benjamin Franklin in 1763 after attending a London recital
>on glasses filled with water. "It consists of a series of glass basins
>of graded sizes fixed on a horizontal spindle, which is made to revolve
>by a treadle operated by the player's foot. The spindle is fitted into a
>trough filled with water so that the glasses are kept wet. The sound is
>produced by delicate rubbing of the fingers against the glasses."

A beautiful example of the instrument is found in the Franklin Institute in
Phila. (Was in the main lobby last time I was there)  If you get to Philly
you'll find it (FI) about halfway between City Hall and the Art Museum on
the Parkway. It is on the west side of a square which has the Free Library
of Phila. on the north and the Museum of Natural History on the south. [and
the Vine St expressway going under ;-{ ]

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician 	mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College				(319)-387-1204
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045

The best things in life aren't things.