Splicing. What's the trick?

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 15:40:09 -0600 (CST)

>      The two strings can be assembled without passing one loop through
>another. Following Jim Hayes instructions,  I bend the broken string end
>around in a loop(clockwise), trying to keep the bend as tight as possible.
>The new piece gets a loop bent, from the same position, (but
>counterclockwise), and both of them are slightly bent toward the side the wire
>crosses itself.  This allows the faces of the loops to mate with each other,
>and the ends point out opposing sides of the bend.
>( this is really a wire bend, not a knot)
>      If you allow the new piece's loop to remain slightly open,(not touching
>the wire as it comes across), this piece will slip over the old string from
>the above right, and  you then can thread the end of the new piece through the
>very tight loop on the old string.  If working room is really tight,  the new
>piece can be made a foot or so long, which allows threading to be easily done
>with a lot of slack, ( which also allows pulling it up very tightly before
>cutting to length).
>    I keep my band-aids in the stringing kit, anyway.
>Regards,
>Ed

Interesting. You could also put a tight loop in the new half, thread it
straight on to the broken half, and make another tight loop (opposite
direction) in the broken half, and thread the new end into it. Result - two
tight loops with a minimum of wire to pull up. Sounds pretty obvious,
doesn't it? Wonder why I never did it that way???? I'll try it next time and
find out what's wrong with the idea.

 Ron