Splicing, whats the trick?

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 00:22:17 -0500

[Pause for a Harveyism: "Everyone enjoys hearing music being played. No one
enjoys hearing music being practiced."] Ah, I feel better now.

Thanks to all who have responded so far. Apparently splicing boils down to
those who can (and do), and those who can't (and want to). As Ron Engle
(whose comments exemplify what I want to accomplish) and others mention,
on-site experience beats my practicing in front of the TV every time. And,
I have seen knots that could be considered works of art... not to mention
those that defy the laws of probability (and physics)!

That said, getting on-site experience is a different thing. In normal work,
often the (bass) string has been removed and tossed "to make my work
easier." Then there was the university account where I followed a $20
'tooner' into "Thunder Alley"; "The Hall of Hell"... the practice rooms.
Thanks to -only- tuning and no other maintenance for years, there were
over two dozen broken bass strings. This time, the department chairman had
visited each piano, removed lower panels as applicable, collected all the
bass strings, and dumped them in a pile on the floor. He was "only trying
to help." Nah, doing discount work within a specified time (purchase order)
and working jig-saw puzzles seemed counter-productive here -- I ordered
replacements.

Other:
1. Per Jon Page etc., using the Jim Hayes "method" implies the use of two
Vice-Grip Jrs. (and a dowel), so I didn't mention that.
2. I'm saving all threads to re-read while scratching head or other parts.
Have concluded this is a 'visual' subject, not a verbal one.
3. Will not give up... otherwise learning stops and I become dangerous.

At 10:37 PM 2/26/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Splicing is one of thoes challenges in our profession that requires a lot
>of on the job experience. I've done my share and now kind of enjoy making
>each one a work of art.  Yes it can be frustrating because of the
>unexpected time you have to put into it, 5 mins., sometimes much more.
>
>I use one size larger for the new section and if its tied correctly
>rarely have a failure when pulling it to pitch.
>
>I have 4 splices in the bass section of a steinway D (above the V-bar of
>course.) Every time I tune this piano (2-3 times a month) I look at thoes
>beautiful little knots with pride. I could not think of replacing them
>with new strings!
>
>Ron Engle  RPT

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC