how far?

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 09:07:38 -0600

Hi all,

I recently had the luck to tune a piano before a move and then three weeks
later. Humidity level was 29% for the first tuning (and had been that low
for some months) and 42% for the second. Pitch was driven up 1.75 cents at
A4 and 9.5 cents at the first plain steel string (which coincided with the
break). The bass section varied between 4 cents sharp and at the last wound
string was 5.6 cents *flat*. The usual unison effects were quite evident
with the bass side unison being flatter than the middle and treble strings.

Has anyone been in the *opposite* situation where humidity was lowered by
13%? And did you happen to take note of the unisons spreading?