wire curve

David Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 19:35:40 -0600

Conrad:

I have a "D" here with a wild beat at B5 from G2.  I have measured the
10th partial on that one string, and on the others of that unison.  The
10th partial is 4 cents flatter than the rest.  None of those strings
beats on its own, but they beat with the other strings of the unison.
It's been that way since the piano was new (1993).  I'd have replaced it
by now, but you know how tough it is to get to G2, and so far NO ONE has
ever mentioned it.  I've always thought that string might have been over
stretched when it was strung (you know, tune it a 5th high so it will
stretch out).

Someday I'll get to it, but probably not until someone complains.

dave

--

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts