When is it enough?

Mark Bolsius markbolsius@optusnet.com.au
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 23:38:54 +1100

I can sympathise Karen, I had a similar experience last year tuning in a
club where there was an argument going on between two people with
control over the heat/air con. It was 30C when I arrived and was 18C before
I got half way through, the pitch was climbing 20-30 cents behind me.
It's amazing what a threat about billing these guys _personally_ for the
extra time does for the spirit of co-operation! I left for a half hour lunch
and came back when the temp had stabilised and started all over again, I
don't know what I would have done if I didn't have the time.

Mark Bolsius
----------
From: Kgj38@AOL.COM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: When is it enough?
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 3:40 AM

I tuned a Kohler and Campbell upright yesterday.  I had a time limit of how
long I could stay, about 2 hrs and 15 minutes.  So I set about to do the
best
I could the fastest I could.  (I tend to be the pokey type tuner).  It
hadn't
been tuned for several years, but the pins were tight and it seemed to be
going well.  Until:  the lady of the house decided she was cold upstairs
(piano is in lower level of a split) and she cranked the heat up.  The warm
air proceeds to blow all over the 3/4s tuned piano.  By the time I got
finished and started checking my work with my accutuner, it had already sunk
flat again.  I was almost out of time and couldn't go through the whole
keyboard again so I tweaked the ones that I could and pronounced it "good
enough".

Not sure how I should feel about that and am looking for advice on when
"enough is enough".  The customer thought it sounded fine, but I left
feeling
as if I hadn't done my best.

Waiting for input,

Karen Johnson