Mildew in Action

barre46@ibm.net barre46@ibm.net
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 00:58:02 -0600

Your post poses a question and also raises some questions. You did no identify the
piano brand so does this musician have a Steinway with vertigre? If not, then I
have confidence that the mildew could be removed by blasting. In my opinion there
is no more effective to clean unfinished wood  then sandblasting it with
appropriate media. I have been using a fiberglass bead that I am not completely
happy with. It does a beautiful job of cleaning the wood surface without too much
damage to the wood surface but the beads do get lodged in the flanges which
requires repinning to completely get rid of all the beads. So I am asking the
list, is there a sandblasting media, such as ground walnut shells, fine enough to
clean effectively yet not bind in the flanges?
Also in this situation I would think that a dampchaser installation would be
imperative.
Please comment.

Norm Barrett
Memphis, TN