wire curve

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 09:01:24 -0500

At 01:29 AM 2/28/99 -0600, you wrote:
<snip>
>Yep, that's pretty much the point. I don't think it's the curve, or the
>twist, or, as Jim C said, the kink that is the problem. I am challenging
>anyone to come up with any reasonable proof or demonstration to the effect
>that any of these things predictably affect the clarity of the tuning of the
>installed string. Not that it will change anyone's belief to the contrary.
>
>A myth is as good as a mile.
>
> Ron

One point I want to make.

My introduction of the term 'natural curve' came in response to the question
about tuning stability on a new piano.

My inference to 'attending to this curve' would make the tuning more stable,
sooner.

Disclaimer:
Any conclusion of string clarity must be assumed by the reader as I made no
reference to this.

The recent flood of posts perhaps led to this misunderstanding as a result of
speed-reading.  I know I have been glazing thru many posts.

I will say this though, by sharpening the bend at the capo by lifting the wire
on either side
has improved the tone.  I have a spinet caster mounted securely  onto a narrow
scrap of
pin block material. With a fulcrum placed on the keybed, this lever lifts the
strings and
between the circumference of the wheel and the rolling action; I do not 'dent'
the wire;
whether or not a kink affects the tone, I'm not taking any chances.
Besides it
looks better
without an angle in the string length.

No flies on me,