wire curve

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 10:27:48 -0600 (CST)

>One point I want to make.
>
>My introduction of the term 'natural curve' came in response to the question
>about tuning stability on a new piano.
>
>My inference to 'attending to this curve' would make the tuning more stable,
>sooner.

* I agree, and do the same sort of attending when I string one.

>Disclaimer:
>Any conclusion of string clarity must be assumed by the reader as I made no
>reference to this.
>
>The recent flood of posts perhaps led to this misunderstanding as a result of
>speed-reading.  I know I have been glazing thru many posts.

* I will repeat. My comments weren't directly in response to your post. I
borrowed your "naural curve" line because this is the way I've heard it said
these many years. I was speaking strictly to the (I think, mistaken) belief
that the orientation of this curve, or an introduction of a twist, in the
speaking length affects the clarity of the tone. Ihis wasn't any conclusion
on my part based on your post, but rather something I have heard from a lot
of "authoritative" sources through the years, including instructors in
seminar and institute classes. I thought I had explained all that up front.
Perhaps not. Incidentally, you didn't explain what you were talking about by
"attending to the natural curve" in your original post either.

>I will say this though, by sharpening the bend at the capo by lifting the wire
>on either side
>has improved the tone. I have a spinet caster mounted securely  onto a narrow
>scrap of
>pin block material. With a fulcrum placed on the keybed, this lever lifts the
>strings and
>between the circumference of the wheel and the rolling action; I do not 'dent'
>the wire;
>whether or not a kink affects the tone, I'm not taking any chances.
>Besides it
>looks better
>without an angle in the string length.

* It certainly does.