Vertical touch weight

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 16:01:36 -0500

Larry, you've had a number of responses so far, with some good pointers.
However, before you go off on your repinning tangent, the brand, vintage
and symptoms indicate an area that I failed to see mentioned so far:

- Check for damper spoons "digging in" to the damper lever lift (spoon) felt.

This can be caused by the choice of damper felt used on the damper levers.
If you find impacted, divoted, or 'trenched-out' felt, Harvey says it's
okay to replace the felt with CLOTH. While you're at it, check the spoons
for failed plating, oxidation, and/or pitting.

I've even found damper levers with cloth lifter material (the way nature
intended) chewed up by damper spoons. In these cases, the piano had been
exposed to salty air, causing the spoons to become more like course files
instead of presenting a smooth surface to the lifter material. The
resulting touch weight is... well, not pleasant!

At 08:38 PM 1/23/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I just got home from tuning and evaluating a Gulbransen console 1954.
>The customers complaint about the acton was that it was too heavy, not
>something I normally run into with consoles.
[cut]

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
 -- someone who's been in the field too long.