Approach Database . . or Filemaker Pro

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 20:51:33 EST

In a message dated 1/21/99 5:52:06 AM Pacific Standard Time,
rootfamily@erols.com writes:

<< Greg ,

 If I understand your post, you are trying to decide which application to
 use for your records.

 Making a layout for Filemaker is very easy.  You set up relationships
 and then include any combination of fields from these files in layouts
 you design.

 My primary layout has all the clients information on one page.  It also
 includes three portals.  A portal is a window that allows you to scroll
 through one or more records of a related file.  Again, the number of
 fields and the layout within the portal is up to you, only takes a few
 minutes to set up, and can be changed at any time.  The portals I use
 allow me to look through a client's service history, contact
 information, and number of pianos.

 Other layouts include a scrollable list of all the clients due to be
 called, sorted by zone and map coordinates.  I've also put together a
 one page summary of the day's appointments that include address,
 directions, etc..

 Non essential curiosity questions are a snap as with any relational
 database.  How many grands did I tune last year? List all my pianos,
 serial numbers and year of manufacture (much easier to update
 information than using Pierce's.)  The big difference between Filemaker
 and dBaseIV and perhpas other applications is that displaying related
 pieces of information from various files is quick and simple.

 Dean hopes to redo PSM some time in the near future in part so non DOS
 users won't need to use RealPC as an interface.  He says he'll probably
 use Filemaker Pro.

 I'll be attending an FMPSig meeting tonight.  I've barely scratched the
 surface with this thing.

 Carl Root, RPT
 Rockville, MD

I will most likely switch to Filemaker Pro.  The define and layouts are very
simular to my DOS program.  I will let you know how it goes.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR