getting serious about methanol

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 06:09:14 EDT

Greetings,
 Richard writes:
>You wrote "as per factory instruction"   what factory ?

    Steinway factory, it is a new piano and warranty requirements dictate
that I do what they said.

>Methanol and ethanol are highly hydroscopic. That they absorb moisture
>and evaproate
>quickly taking the water with them is my guess as to their hydroscopic

    A chemist explained to me that alcohol will break down into water at the
99% level.  That is why you cannot really get 200 proof alcohol, it just
won't go there without extraordinary treatement.

>	BTW was the loseness in the bushings or the birds eye? (both I will
guess)

   The looseness was in the felt only..
   I can see the ease that wetting solutions provide, however,  I have a
strong suspicion that if all hammershanks are checked after this, they may be
loose, but will not be as consistant as if they were repinned.  Since I am
trying to sell the most expensive, dependable, work that I can, I am going to
repin in the future, charge for it, and not worry about future use.
Thanks to all for the response,  I wonder what I will get from the factory?
Regards,
Ed Foote