ozonation

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 20:57:42 -0500

Brian & Kent,

Thanks for the input.  I was not asked about putting the piano in the
trailer.  Even if I had been asked, I could not have given an good answer
because I had not heard of the process.  Now I have learned something
<grin>.

I'll keep an eye on the metals in the piano to see if any corrosion
develops.  It was quite humid in the trailer, so I'm betting that there will
be some rust.  Can anything be done now to inhibit rust formation?

John Formsma

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Brian Trout
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 1999 7:25 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: ozonation

Hi Kent,

I'm with you on this one.  Ozone will do a nice job of deodorizing a smokey
piano, but nevertheless, ozone can have a very corrosive effect upon metals.

I tend to think that 4 days in the ozone chamber is a bit excessive.  We
have a local company that does our ozoning for us that will usually let the
item in the chamber for about 1 day.  So far we've not had any problem with
the smoke smell returning.  We're dealing with pianos.  Perhaps some
furniture pieces may require more time.?

FWIW.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, Pa.
btrout@desupernet.net